Find A New Lawyer.
This section is in two parts. The first part currently lists two law firms that practice Estate Law - I am considering adding a few more. Of course, there are other firms as well. The second part offers some suggestions on how to find a new lawyer. Be sure to also read Questions to Ask.
Part One. Two Law Firms that Practice Estate Law.
Cioffi, Slezak & Wildgrube P.C.
1473 Erie Boulevard, 1st Floor
Schenectady, NY 12305
Contact: Cristine Cioffi, Esq.
Mazotta, Sherwood & Vagianelis, P.C.
9 Washington Square, Washington Avenue Ext.
Albany, NY 12205
Contact: Richard J. Sherwood, Esq.
Part Two. Sources of Information About Lawyers.
There are many sources of information about lawyers and their practices. The following are several I have found to be generally reliable over the years. Nothing will substitute for a direct interview of a new lawyer - see Questions to Ask.
- Martindale - Hubbell. Perhaps the oldest directory of attorneys with extensive listings. Probably the most objective source, even though it is a subscription service for lawyers who wish to have full listings.
- Findlaw, run by a large legal publisher.
- New York State Bar Attorney Referral Service can recommend a lawyer, but it does not cover Albany County. Lawyers list themselves, so not all lawyers are here; these tend to be younger lawyers.
- The Albany County Bar Association runs its own referral service here.
- The Estate Planning Council of Eastern New York is a membership organization of attorneys, accountants, financial planners and others. You can view attorneys by selecting "Attorney" on the Directory, Member Directory drop-down list.
Please be cautious of sites other than those I mention above as many are paid sites that may have different standards - the prominence of the listing or attorney's ratings may be based upon payments by the lawyer, participation by the lawyer in answering questions posted on the site, or a lawyer's ability to convince other lawyers to vouch for him or her.
Finally, remember that word of mouth can be valuable as well.